Freeciv - Longturn?

edited September 2014 in General
So here's another idea for a game server that would work wonderfully with our busy schedules. There's a civ lookalike out there called Freeciv. I haven't ever really gotten around to playing it, but I've known about it for some time. Link: http://play.freeciv.org/

Basically, longturn mode is where there's one turn a day. Log on, plan out your turn, and then repeat the next day. Every player has a 24 hour window to do something. This allows for long term strategy, discussion over who will do what and when, and involvement in the community that fits in with our busy schedules.

Here's a description of longturn: http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Longturn

Essentially, it's longterm strategy with Civ. Sort of like Nation States from all those years ago.

What do you guys think? If you don't like TBS games, then let me know. If there's at least 5 people interested, then I'll set this up.
Appeal
  1. Would you play this?5 votes
    1. Yes
      80.00%
    2. No
      20.00%
/(?##~##)/

Comments

• I think this would be fun, and will try to join and play if we do it. It seems like it'd be slow for awhile, but interesting. I have tried FreeCiv before. It's set up well, but I'm not good at it.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    Glad to here it's of quality. Be sure to vote in the poll that I just set up.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Sure.

I'll probably just end up dicking around without intent to accomplish anything though.
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!
  • Sounds too slow for my tastes :P
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
  • I'll play. I think. Unless I forget.
    This is still not our universe.
    I'll have reminders setup. After a month or so, it should start getting rather interesting. Hopefully it'll become a heavy topic of discussion in Skype.
    /(?##~##)/
  • I'd be cool with that.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
    For those interested, I suggest downloading the game and playing around with it. Planning long term strategies would be easier that way.
    /(?##~##)/
  • As great as this sounds to me, I haven't got nearly enough free time or commitment to keep something like this up. I still haven't got around to doing that book challenge Kerlc gave me on Facebook yet (I haven't forgotten about that, by the way), so there's barely any point trying with this.

I'll continue to silently lurk and watch this play out for a while.
    It only requires about 5 to 10 minutes a day, maybe even less if you don't plan on following a consistent strategy.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Be that as it may, I have a bad habit of starting long-term things like this and then just dropping them for no reason. I don't want to commit to something knowing full well I won't keep it up.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 1,153
    Spent about 4 hours installing it on Linux, but it seems to run flawlessly. For the next week, Freeman and I will test the server to make sure the game runs properly in longturn mode. We'll also test to see what happens if the server crashes unexpectedly.

EDIT: Turns out the UI is horrific. I'm going to play around with the game for a bit to see if its playable. If not, I'll be looking at other options.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Spent about 4 hours installing it on Linux, but it seems to run flawlessly. For the next week, Freeman and I will test the server to make sure the game runs properly in longturn mode. We'll also test to see what happens if the server crashes unexpectedly.

EDIT: Turns out the UI is horrific. I'm going to play around with the game for a bit to see if its playable. If not, I'll be looking at other options.
    Is it as horrific as...

Dwarf Fortress?
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

I'd say it's a good second place to DF.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Yikes, that's pretty bad .-.

• The UI and most of the game is directly lifted from Civ 2.

You now know what to blame.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
  • The UI and most of the game is directly lifted from Civ 2.

You now know what to blame.
    I'll still blame Dwarf Fortress.

I like to know what I'm looking at when I play games :P

I played this for few days. Not for me!
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 0
    *double checks website* I am not sure if this is the same Civilization-like game I first thought it was or not. Either way, I agree it is awkward to work with. If we play, I'll try to. If not, fine with me.
    I'll continue to silently lurk and watch this play out for a while.
    So, that's where you have been.

How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.