Continuing Learning C

edited February 2015 in Programming
How many of you are still interested in Learning C? The whole "looking for an internship for the Summer" thing concluded tomorrow, after the career fair, and I hear back about the research opportunity on Saturday, so that will result in a small block freeing up in my schedule.

Or we could wait, and I could switch over to teaching JavaScript, which I'm learning right now. It's considerably easier to learn than C, in my opinion. Plus, you can run JS anywhere you have a browser.
/(?##~##)/

Comments

• si

I've split myself between chemistry, maths and video-games; if I try hard enough and gather enough nutrients I could likely perform binary fission again.

I have the terrible tendency to put things off, but luckily when I start doing something I can continue doing said thing for hours on end.
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!
    Elmzran said:

How many of you are still interested in Learning C? The whole "looking for an internship for the Summer" thing concluded tomorrow, after the career fair, and I hear back about the research opportunity on Saturday, so that will result in a small block freeing up in my schedule.

Or we could wait, and I could switch over to teaching JavaScript, which I'm learning right now. It's considerably easier to learn than C, in my opinion. Plus, you can run JS anywhere you have a browser.

I won't be following, but do post it so that I can do them all at once when I have the time.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
  • Honestly I can't find myself the time for something I'm not that motivated about.
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 0
    I would not recommend JavaScript as a first language as it is more confusing than most languages, and is more built to work with HTML and CSS which haven't been covered. I don't mind, though as I know JavaScript, and oddly enough, am taking a class on it right now. The class also goes over JQuery, PHP, and MySQL. If we do go over JavaScript, I can cover those as they are somewhat related.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    Yeah. As I learn more of JS, especially during today, I'm realizing where the confusion starts. So we'll continue with C.
    /(?##~##)/
  • What was the especially notable thing for you? There's a lot of parts.

A lot of stuff with objects, mostly. It's just that the way JavaScript handles lots of things isn't as strict as C, so the proper / most effective way of doing something isn't clear.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Elmzran said:

A lot of stuff with objects, mostly. It's just that the way JavaScript handles lots of things isn't as strict as C, so the proper / most effective way of doing something isn't clear.

I see. Indeed on that.

• Yeah, I just took C programming last semester. In my opinion, it's the programming world's version of Mayan. It's really fascinating, provides us a glimpse of early language, and is not used at all today.

However, I think it will provide many beginner programmers a glimpse of what actual programming is like. However, I think GML is much cooler, and in my opinion more efficient.
    "Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
    ~The Bible of the Church of N
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 0

Yeah, I just took C programming last semester. In my opinion, it's the programming world's version of Mayan. It's really fascinating, provides us a glimpse of early language, and is not used at all today.

However, I think it will provide many beginner programmers a glimpse of what actual programming is like. However, I think GML is much cooler, and in my opinion more efficient.

Interesting analogy. I would agree GML makes a better first language in terms of ease, but I think C has some advantages such as learning some fundamental mechanics with more rigorous understanding than others, and approachability as far as low-level languages go.

Also, on not being used, I don't know how often C is used, but I've used a language first made in the 1960s in a job, so I wouldn't be surprised if C is used, if nothing more than places that don't update their systems often like where I was.

• Weren't they still using punch cards in the 60's?
    "Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
  • I'm not sure about everywhere, but I think there was a movement away from that around that time. The programming compiler was invented not too much further back. At the place I worked, they were using a newer version that I think was developed in the mid 2000s, but they probably have code from then still in place as they are a large company that was founded in the 1950s.

My old maths teacher said she used punch cards to solve some problems. She can still do programming with those.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
    C is definitely still widely used. The Linux Kernel, for example, is mostly C. Lots of low level stuff is C. There are still plenty of jobs that require C knowledge.

Sure, it's not used as much as it used to be, but it's still plenty good in our modern world. A lot of programming languages that we know today were created using C I believe, or at least the compilers for them. I know Ruby was made with C. Plus, tons of modern programming languages borrow and mirror conventions from C. If you know C well, then it's easy to learn another programming language without much hassle. That applies to most programming languages though.

It also is a very punishing language that requires you to follow the syntax, data typing, and so forth to the tee. Good for forcing best programming habits early on.
    /(?##~##)/
  • I may also be very bitter at C because I did not enjoy the class. It was 5:30 to 8pm! JUST LET US LEAVE ALREADY!
  • Kerlc said:

My old maths teacher said she used punch cards to solve some problems. She can still do programming with those.

Good to know.
    Elmzran said:

C is definitely still widely used. The Linux Kernel, for example, is mostly C. Lots of low level stuff is C. There are still plenty of jobs that require C knowledge.

Sure, it's not used as much as it used to be, but it's still plenty good in our modern world. A lot of programming languages that we know today were created using C I believe, or at least the compilers for them. I know Ruby was made with C. Plus, tons of modern programming languages borrow and mirror conventions from C. If you know C well, then it's easy to learn another programming language without much hassle. That applies to most programming languages though.

It also is a very punishing language that requires you to follow the syntax, data typing, and so forth to the tee. Good for forcing best programming habits early on.

I didn't know that about Linux. Good to know. I know C has a large history.

I may also be very bitter at C because I did not enjoy the class. It was 5:30 to 8pm! JUST LET US LEAVE ALREADY!

How often did the class happen? I had a class from 5-8:50 (4 hours) with normally no breaks, but it was one day a week.

• Same for me, once a week.
  • Same for me, once a week.

I see. Sounds like bitterness more to me.

Ah, well I can't blame you then. Once a week classes can be painful.
    /(?##~##)/
    Elmzran said:

Linux

HEY I HEAR YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR COMPUTER! HAVE YOU CONSIDERED SWITCHING TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOR LINUX?!
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
  • Elmzran said:

Linux

HEY I HEAR YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH YOUR COMPUTER! HAVE YOU CONSIDERED SWITCHING TO OUR LORD AND SAVIOR LINUX?!
    I have not. Also, Linux may be the Savior, but it's not the Lord, that's binary.

YOU MUST USE LINUX! ALL THE ARBITRARY HOOPS YOU MUST JUMP THROUGH JUST ADD TO THE FEELING OF ACCOMPLISHMENT!
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
  • YOU MUST USE LINUX! ALL THE ARBITRARY HOOPS YOU MUST JUMP THROUGH JUST ADD TO THE FEELING OF ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Is that how that works? What are some arbitrary hoops?

YOU MUST USE LINUX! ALL THE ARBITRARY HOOPS YOU MUST JUMP THROUGH JUST ADD TO THE FEELING OF ACCOMPLISHMENT!

/(?##~##)/
  • Elmzran said:

I'll get started shortly.

Excellent.
    /(?##~##)/
  • HOOPLA~!
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG
  • After a couple days of hoop going, I am proud to say that I made a loop through the hoops with some soup.