KSP Modding?

I'm gonna start out this topic by saying that I have no idea when or if this will happen. I just want to get a general idea of interest.

So, KSP is a pretty great game. I know there's a number of you here who play it religiously, like I also now do (Seriously I haven't played a game this much since the Minecraft server days). I have also been playing with a significant number of mods, AND I am significantly better at programming due to a full academic year's worth of schooling in computer science.

I noticed, while searching through and installing mods, that KSP has a very vibrant modding community, and it seems fairly easy to mod the game. So I thought, why not see what everyone here thinks of the idea of modding? What if we (the KSP players, mainly) got together, and tried to figure out what kind of mod to make that doesn't really exist yet, or improves upon another mod?

Any thoughts? Just getting a feel to see if I'm the only one interested in this, or if others may like the idea as well. I currently have no idea what we could make, so suggestions are welcome. I understand that a few of you have played KSP longer than I, so you may have already noticed things that would be nice to have / could be improved upon.
/(?##~##)/

Comments

• I have no interest in KSP
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!
    I have 0 skills in anything whatsoever :P
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
    Well I'd handle the programming, per usual. It's just idea collab, testing, and so forth that you guys would help with.
    /(?##~##)/
    Oh, well that could work.

Game needs a few more stockalike packs anyway.
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

• I would help out if we did so. I have some ideas, but I'm fine if we don't do anything with them. The ideas are:
    - a Planetoid-themed mod
    - ridiculous part mod
    - alien artifacts mod
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    I can't code or model or texture for toffee D:

So my contribution would probably be limited to mechanics.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
  • edited May 2015 Posts: 1,154
    Some mod that adds artifacts and other secret hidden things that can be used for gathering science would be neat. But I can't model worth shit :/ I could learn but that would take a hell of a lot of time.

Maybe once KSP upgrades to Unity 5 and the 64 bit version becomes more stable, we could try making another solar system? Apparently it's not too hard. The maker of OPM uses Space Engine to find planets that are cool, export their textures, and then do some tricks to import them into KSP as playable planets. I'll have to talk to him.
    /(?##~##)/
    I'm basically a professional Unity user.
    I can halp.
    This is still not our universe.
    I'd honestly prefer parts to solar systems. Mainly because there is no feasible way to get to them.

And no, the super bloaty Interstellar mod doesn't count. 90% of that mod is in the "shit you will never touch" catagory.

• Kerlc said:

Wait, what about your Kerbal cultures you were developing earlier?

I'd honestly prefer parts to solar systems. Mainly because there is no feasible way to get to them.

And no, the super bloaty Interstellar mod doesn't count. 90% of that mod is in the "shit you will never touch" catagory.

What if we add wormhole related tools?

Kerlc said:

That's fluff, I can write a story about that but it don't translate into game mechanics in any relevant way.

• Kerlc said:

Kerlc said:

That's fluff, I can write a story about that but it don't translate into game mechanics in any relevant way.

What if we make it so? Perhaps the alien artifacts reflect these cultures. During gameplay, you can research more about one more than the other giving more background and parts based upon the work of one or both or something else.

Not a bad idea. I'm assuming I'll need to learn C# to effectively do anything here, though.
    /(?##~##)/
  • From what I know of C#, although I mostly did it for form-based applications, it seems like it is just a more sophisticated version of C. I'm not sure how KSP mods, though.

Here's an idea for a genuinely useful little modlet: when mousing over your kerbals' portraits, you should be told their profession and rank in said profession. Like, a little tab popping up above their name/portrait saying "Engineer lv.3" or somesuch.
    That needs to be a thing.

• I'm surprised it isn't already. That seems fairly basic. I think that would be a good starting point.

Great starting point. Let's do that. I'll start looking into KSP modding.
    /(?##~##)/
  • Sounds good to me. I'll review C#.