WarThunder

Hey guys! I know I mentioned it in my "I'm Back" post, but in the past year, I've gotten really into playing WarThunder.

For those of you who don't know, WarThunder is the World of WarGaming's main competitor. WOWG is known for their trilogy, World of Tanks, World of War Planes, and most recently World of Warships.

WarThunder distinguishes itsself by trying to be more "realistic". Vehicles don't have hitpoints. Hit a tank in the ammo rack and they explode (like 1 in 3 chance?). Hit a tank in the fuel tank, and it will explode. Hit a tank in the engine, and it will burn, and then explode. Hit a tank in the transmission, and it will burn, and then explode. Shoot a plane's pilot with your plane's 20mm cannon, and he'll explode (not really, but he will be "knocked unconscious" and you'll crash). The tanks behave so realistically, that when "The Game Theorists" challenged them on how realistic they were, he admitted defeat.

As a person whose played both tank series, I have to admit that I find WarThunder more fun overall. I find it easier to advance (I got up to tier 3 out of 5 after 2 weeks of play). I have more fun in each battle as there is a system for respawn in 2 out of 3 game modes. I have more fun discussing it with my father as there are virtually none of the obscure tanks that are the mainstay of WoT and he understands what I'm talking about. I appreciate the realism (except when I get one shotted in the ammo rack, the fucker, that's ok, I have one respawn left and I know where this sniper is hiding).

The one issue I have with the game is that tanks are only pitted against tanks that can kill eachother. Otherwise I'd just sit in my Tiger all day pot shotting at the advancing t-34s and m-4 shermans.

I bring this up to raise awareness and to encourage you guys to play. Also I'm lonely and hope you guys will play with me.
What do you think of WarThunder
  1. What do you think of WarThunder4 votes
    1. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea
      25.00%
    2. Tanks are always cool
      25.00%
    3. I wouldn't mind trying it out
      25.00%
    4. SIGN ME UP, DRILL SERGEANT!
      25.00%
"Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
~The Bible of the Church of N

Comments

• edited June 2015 Posts: 0
    If they fix the bad battle rating system then maybe.

Oh, and also stop adding fake planes.
    "I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
    I believe they continuously work on the rating system as demand requires. However, I currently have no issues with it and usually enjoy my games, and whenever I lose, it's always attributable to me. And what do you mean fake? The Ho-229 seems quite real, built, tested, and apparently inspirational.
    "Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
  • I believe they continuously work on the rating system as demand requires.

The battle rating system is ooooold and is still broken.

And what do you mean fake? The Ho-229 seems quite real, built, tested, and apparently inspirational.

The HO-229 was NEVER flown in combat, and only three were built. Most of the test flights ending in mild to severe failure.

So no, if the game wants to tout realism they need to burn that thing.
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

Well the Maus never got to combat either, and it is still featured. And so are Russian IS-3's but to be fair, all russian heavies after the IS-2 mod 44 are necessary so the russian tech tree has something to compete with the Tiger B 105mm. Same with the late American Heavies which I believe end at the M103.

But still, all the tanks and planes featured were all built, as opposed to WoT where many tanks that only ever saw the drawing board are main features.
  • I'll look more into it. I am not sure if I'll be any good at it, though.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.

Well the Maus never got to combat either, and it is still featured. And so are Russian IS-3's but to be fair, all russian heavies after the IS-2 mod 44 are necessary so the russian tech tree has something to compete with the Tiger B 105mm. Same with the late American Heavies which I believe end at the M103.

But still, all the tanks and planes featured were all built, as opposed to WoT where many tanks that only ever saw the drawing board are main features.

At least don't push the HO-299 down to fight pacific theater fighters. In fact, don't push pacific fighters to fight any of the European theater interceptors at all. Those Spitfires just chew through corsairs.

Seriously, WT is super borked.

Like any game, it's usually an acquired skill
    WoWG also has vehicles of all nations fighting each other.
  • Like any game, it's usually an acquired skill

Noted.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
  • Like any game, it's usually an acquired skill

I can't believe you actually used the "git gud" argument against balance issues :D

WoWG also has vehicles of all nations fighting each other.

Don't even try to compare tanks and planes. Tanks are tanks no matter where they are, and are made for similar purposes.

European theater interceptors were essentially flying cannons whereas the carrier-borne fighters of the Pacific had to make MASSIVE cutbacks to their performance in order to be carrier based. Pacific fighters are objectively inferior to European interceptors, and will get absolutely shredded by them.

Trying to compare carrier-borne craft to a interceptor based in the UK is like comparing a main battle tank to a smart car with a guy carrying a pistol in it.

• edited June 2015 Posts: 110
    It is an acquired skill. If a person were to on their first day hop into a tier 5 tank, they'd get shredded, because they don't know what to do, and they learn through experience how to cope with certain situations. And it's an acquired skill, because if you leave the game for any stretch of time, when you come back, you have to work at it to "git gud" again.

I don't compare carrier aircraft versus land aircraft, and neither does the game. Most carrier aircraft are ranked relatively low in the game. I'm pretty sure the hellcat (plane, not TD) is a tier one, because that's where I keep seeing them. Same for the Japanese "Zero" except that is a low rank tier 2.
    I remember playing WarThunder and liking what I played. Also apparently tanks are a thing now so yay.

I don't really know much about war planes to comment, but I do know that the pacific and european theatres were entirely different operationally and as such required entirely different sorts of planes.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
    As I said I already play it and for some time too.

About the planes.... it is mostly about skill and you can mostly kill anything with anything if you try hard enough. It is always about learning how to fly a plane. First few times you fly a spit you might crash because you turn around 400/500( depending on which model), but the next time you will learn not to and with time you can learn how to quickly bleed speed and turn even at faster speeds. The same goes for most other planes. If you don't climb with Fw above, well everyone, you are f****d because it can't turn. About MM I do have problems with it ( mostly the fact that in late tier IV everyone plays against 'murica and russians and japs play against 'murica+brits so it is pretty hard to do something there)

I can't talk much about tanks since I don't play much and when I play I mostly suck.

If anyone starts playing and needs some advice for aircraft ( realistic mode) fell free to ask, it isn't a problem to take lower tier aricraft for me if you don't have any high tiers ( it is always fun to go back and kill those noobs)
    russians hitting russians in russia because they are russin'
    I mostly play tanks, but I started in on the british plane tech tree. Did you know they were crazy enough to mount a 57mm gun to a plane?! THEY'RE INSANE! Can't wait till I get it, gonna one shot all the planes.
    I heard tank battles are superawesome amazeballs. So I'll probs try those.

SOVIET TANKS FTW
    GLORY TO THE T-34/85

I mostly play tanks, but I started in on the british plane tech tree. Did you know they were crazy enough to mount a 57mm gun to a plane?! THEY'RE INSANE! Can't wait till I get it, gonna one shot all the planes.

Musquito , also there is a tempest with 2x47mm. The americans and germans have a plane with 75mm , but they are ground attackers , just like the british one
    Who was insane enough to think this up?! 2 and 3" guns on planes?!

@Kerlc Don't even get me started on the t-34 85, that bastard annoys the fuck out of me at lower tiers.
    I have never played with it I just know it is the ultimate WW2 tank. Mass-producible, powerful cannon and russian all the way.

Across the sky.
    Woooo it's so intense.
    Idk, it's only a tier 2-3, Panthers are better.
    That makes no sense historically. T-34/85 was THE tank of the war. It was basically a T-34 with a bigger dome and an anti-aircraft gun strapped onto it that was just about capable of penetrating frontal Tiger armour.

The Panther was the nazi's response to the T-34/85 and while it almost caught up to it in terms of maneouverability and deadliness, it wasn't nearly as cheap. It had more armor, sure, but tanks are such delicate things when fighting other tanks.
    This is the game where corsairs fight alongside YAK-9s

Just learn to not question the logic.

Not in realistic battles they don't. Just in arcade.

Also is it just me or are airfights more fun than tank stuff?
    Then again that might be because I'm a scrublord and have only just begun the soviet tank tree while my british aeroplane tree is already in tier 3.
    I do like british planes. But I prefer German tanks.
    Filthy jerry swine! Taste the power of her royal majesty's spit! Made of fire!
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 110
    Lol, I think beaufighters are cooler than spitfires. Especially at tier 2.

Lol, I think beaufighters are cooler than spitfires. Especially at tier 2.

WHAT , just what. I would take spit over beau any day. Sure you got more guns but it is much harder to get on someone tail or even get in a good shooting position and the engines aren't that great so it doesn't climb better than 1 engine fighters so yea.... maybe for arcade

I only play arcade with planes, and realistic with tanks, and avoid sim like the plague.
    Yeah, the Beaufighter is a beautiful beast, but getting it to hit anything in the air in pretty much any mode (even in Arcade, other fighters are far too nippy to reliably hit so you can only go after bombers) is challenging. Beautiful to watch when your cannon rounds just tear up their hapless planes tho.