Looking For A Game

I'm a big fan in general of 4x RTS games. Somewhere close to number one on my list would probably be Sins of A Solar Empire (mostly because I love the star wars mod Sins of a Galactic Empire). I won't try to explain what the game is, a winning feature of it in my book is the complexity. However, I sometimes find myself bored with odd 3 dozen or so games I have on my computer, and in general am looking for more to play. You guys are probably the best people I could ask when it comes to PC games recommendation, so I'm asking for help.

Things that are a must;
Microsoft compatible (preferably more recent so it works on windows 8.1 or later with as few compatibility issues as possible)

Things that are preferred;
Space based: I flinch at saying this but I really do love space. I have many non space games that I love, but I find that the games I tend to be looking for are based in space. (See SOASE)
Ship builder: If it's space based, I need some way to design custom ships or to do something manual involving the building of ships.

Things that I don't need (but wouldn't if it came along with the package);
Multiplayer: I don't generally play games with friends (NOBODY LOVES MEEEEEE)
The most amazing graphics ever: Don't care when it came out, my computer can't handle it.
Campaign: Amazing games don't need campaigns to be amazing. (See SOASE)

Things I've heard about but need a second opinion;
Stardrive
"Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
~The Bible of the Church of N

Comments

Star Ruler 2 is pretty good. It's like SOASE with a bigger focus on empire building, you get to design your own ships, it's lovely.

I tried Galactic Civilizations 3 (basically Civ in SPEEEEHS with an amazing ship designer) but the AI was wonky and I felt the game as a whole lacked... character, I guess? Dunno, it just felt bland.

Endless Space is pretty good also.
    [12:49] William "Tankman": yuri loli spaceshipgirls
    [15:42] Jalern: I want to fuk r63 loli mao
    That's a shame about Galciv3 I was looking forward to that, ever since I found 2. My father is a gamer of the last generation who dedicated his to Sid Mier's Civ2, until he found 3, and then played nothing else for over a decade. I showed him Galciv 2 earlier this year, he hasn't put it down, and he now plays it on max difficulty.
    "Yae, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, 'cause I broughts a Minigun"
    @Kerlc

Star Ruler 2 does not have a wikipedia, and the wikipedia page for the first one is sparse to say the least. However, this is the reason I watch gamer videos on youtube. YES DAD THERE'S A REASON I WATCH YOUTUBE! GOSH!!!!

Less than 4 minutes in on a "lets play" by some person called pewpewchewchew, and I need to play.
  • edited June 2015 Posts: 0
    I've also heard good things about Distant Star: Revenant Fleet, though it supposedly gets really heavy with micromanagement and you have to automate it.

I won't try to explain what the game is...

Don't worry, you won't have to.

"I am sorry but if you don't like cake you're literally hitler
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

[3:35:15 AM] Kerlc: they have boobs
    [3:35:18 AM] Kerlc: but they still have 12

[10:00:19 AM] Kerlc: I actually prefer the penetration
    Rebellion was a great expansion, especially since it combined all the other expansions and then some.
    Expandalone*

Also IS a great expansion. There still isn't really anything like Sins.
    Like I'm pretty sure an entire chapter of Mein Kampf is all about how much he loathes cake" - Kerlc, 2016

try besiege , it isn't space related but you can build stuff there and I find it pretty fun
    russians hitting russians in russia because they are russin'
    I have tried Star Rule 2, and I have to say, apparently not my cup of tea. The graphics were about all I was looking for, but the resource thing just felt really dumb to me.
  • I won't try to explain what the game is...

Step it up
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!

Step it up
    Pffft.
    And it's not even considered much :|
    This is still not our universe.

Step it up
    Pls

Step it up
    Pls
    Ahem...
  • Your powerlevels are too high, I must concede.
    ➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈➈
    [7:45 pm] Kerlc: Being a cuck is great'
    Futanari Loli Nazi Succubus Squad ~☆「Sieg Heil」 Your Heart Into Ecstasy!!
    ふたなり・ロリ・ナチス・サキュバス・スクアッド~☆あなたの心をエクスタシーへ「ジークハイル」しよ!

Step it up
    Pls
    Ahem...
    LoL doesn't count because it isn't a game. It's just a method of torture.

LOL, I was gonna chime in with my ~450 hours in E:TW but, I still lose.
    Bitches please, let a real master show you how it's done.

Yeah, I don't play a lot of games on Steam. The most of a single game I've ever played is probably Fallout New Vegas, with about 150 hours I put in, closely followed by KSP with not that much less. I'm guesstimating mind you.

I have tried Star Rule 2, and I have to say, apparently not my cup of tea. The graphics were about all I was looking for, but the resource thing just felt really dumb to me.

It takes a lot of getting used to. It's similar to Settlers in some ways.

Step it up
    Pls
    Ahem...
    The most impressive thing about this is that you managed to put in a 28 minute LoL session without getting bored out of your fucking skull. That takes some real dedication.
  • Mokushi said:

The most impressive thing about this is that you managed to put in a 28 minute LoL session without getting bored out of your fucking skull. That takes some real dedication.

LoL doesn't count because it isn't a game. It's just a method of torture.

It can be pretty fun when you play only with friends. I mean, I actually never play if I'm all alone. The community of all the MOBA games I've tried so far sucks and LoL's is probably among the worst.
    So, that, if you manage to play with friends and befriend the few friendly players you find around, you can have a fun time. I understand the hate, yeah, playing ranked is hell, there's some people there whom I think are actually getting paid for flaming. But if you manage to avoid those guys, the game's fun, at least for me.

Anyway, weren't we supposed to find a game for energywelder?
    Why all the hate for LoL? I think it's a great game.
    Yes, the community sucks. But just try and find a large competitive game out there without a shitty community.
    This is still not our universe.
  • On 4X RTS games, I tend to like 4X TBS more, so I don't know or have as many, but here are some I like, although none are that new:
    - Empire Earth (1-2)
    - Rise of Nations (original)
    - Age of Empires (1-3)
    - Age of Mythology

- StarCraft 2 Demo
    Huh. I thought I had more space-themed ones.

On gaming hours, none of mine are that long according to Steam.

On LoL, I haven't tried it, but tips noted.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
  • Gheiter said:

Why all the hate for LoL? I think it's a great game.
    Yes, the community sucks. But just try and find a large competitive game out there without a shitty community.

The Smite Community is worse. By quite a bit I'd say. And Dota2 is on par maybe slightly less toxic than LoL.
    "Gas giants don't discriminate. They have gas for everyone." -ASG

On 4X RTS games, I tend to like 4X TBS more, so I don't know or have as many, but here are some I like, although none are that new:
    - Empire Earth (1-2)
    - Age of Empires (1-3)
    - Age of Mythology

- StarCraft 2 Demo

Ironically, I have played all the non space ones. I've been playing AOE since I was very young. Age of Mythology was ok. Rise of Nations was amazing, and frankly I really loved it, however, I could never get AI's into custom scenarios so the hordes of enemy units just sat there. I really did like how it was a lot like AOE, except it had all eras and it was a bit simplified. It inspired in me the need to one day somehow figure out how make a game that featured you shepherding a civilization from start to finish, down to designing each bit of their technology (think spore, but everything they promised us), but such a game would have to be so open worlded that I doubt there is any game engine or computer that could play it. I tried Empire Earth, but eh.

Y'know, I've heard the star craft name thrown around a bit, tell me in your own words about it.
  • So I had a chance to try Star Ruler 2.

The resource pyramid is actually fairly interesting, and while the interface isn't pretty it's actually extremely functional.

I'm just really bad ;-;

Oh I know it's functional, I had a pretty nice game going, except for the fact I never had enough influence points. However, I found it really boring, and silly, and actually pretty inaccurate.
  • Oh I know it's functional, I had a pretty nice game going, except for the fact I never had enough influence points. However, I found it really boring, and silly, and actually pretty inaccurate.

Inaccurate? As in...?

This is not how space commerce will work. Food will never be so scare in one place that it will be fiscally responsible to ship it place to place. Same with water. Either a place has enough water to sustain life, or the resources will be found in that star system.

The main tradeable goods humans might have with an alien race near or on par with us technologically, would be information, or elements so uncommon they're universally rare, like rubidium, osmium, iridium, or platinum. Literally nothing is actually worth transporting interstellar distances.
  • On 4X RTS games, I tend to like 4X TBS more, so I don't know or have as many, but here are some I like, although none are that new:
    - Empire Earth (1-2)
    - Age of Empires (1-3)
    - Age of Mythology

- StarCraft 2 Demo

Ironically, I have played all the non space ones. I've been playing AOE since I was very young. Age of Mythology was ok. Rise of Nations was amazing, and frankly I really loved it, however, I could never get AI's into custom scenarios so the hordes of enemy units just sat there. I really did like how it was a lot like AOE, except it had all eras and it was a bit simplified. It inspired in me the need to one day somehow figure out how make a game that featured you shepherding a civilization from start to finish, down to designing each bit of their technology (think spore, but everything they promised us), but such a game would have to be so open worlded that I doubt there is any game engine or computer that could play it. I tried Empire Earth, but eh.

Y'know, I've heard the star craft name thrown around a bit, tell me in your own words about it.
    If you're interested in playing together on any of those games, let me know. I still have all of them and play on the odd occasion. With the game you describe, that does sound amazing, and I've had similar inspirations except more from Empire Earth. I can think of three games that might fit closer: Dwarf Fortress (complexity guaranteed yet most visual of the three), an online roleplay (which I happen to be active in right now on a different forum), and Ultimate Empire Game (which is much like the roleplay but I came up with it many years ago based upon my own similar inspiration and is more two player (one host for the world, one for the player)). Only the first isn't largely/entirely text-based. If you're interested in more info, say so. They are all semi-turn based, though.

As for Starcraft, I don't know it as well as the others, but here are some thoughts I have about it: I like it for its mixed races that don't just repeat the exact same mechanics with different names. Each has some fundamental differences similar to Age of Mythology. They are still quite similar, though, also like it. There are 3 races. One difference for example, one race builds buildings (Terran), one starts the process to warp them in and then can be used elsewhere (Protoss), one grows into a building (Zerg). I am not good at most of the RTSs I play, and this is no exception, although last time I played, I was able to win for the first time. This is compared to the first times I played StarCraft 1 where I usually died within 10 minutes. The resources are not that complex, only two, but it makes that easier to manage. The game, at least in my mind, is more about fighting than economic or technological strategy, but it does have those aspects, too. I only played multiplayer with the demo as someone I know had it and was interested in playing it. I don't know how the community is.

I also remembered I have and liked this 4X RTS game while typing this:
    - Empires: Dawn of the Modern World

This is not how space commerce will work. Food will never be so scare in one place that it will be fiscally responsible to ship it place to place. Same with water. Either a place has enough water to sustain life, or the resources will be found in that star system.

The main tradeable goods humans might have with an alien race near or on par with us technologically, would be information, or elements so uncommon they're universally rare, like rubidium, osmium, iridium, or platinum. Literally nothing is actually worth transporting interstellar distances.

I can't help but wonder if this is part of the answer to Fermi's Paradox. If nothing is worth transporting that far, maybe that's why we don't see them. Although it seems to me people might be worth transporting to other places, if nothing more than for colonies or because people want to go places they might not really 'need' to go to.
    How do you say no to someone who asks you to say no?
    - Random Question Number 289

These Random Questions were not paid for by anybody.
    I don't think it would do as a suitable answer for Fermi. Think about how much we use the EM spectrum. The internet is estimated to be measured in zettabytes. And a large portion of that is moved from place to place wirelessly. Signals like that are bouncing from spot to spot, but giving off "leakage". We are quite literally leaking alot of radio radiation into space, and I have no doubt we're rather noticeable. With this understanding of technic race communication, fermi's paradox beckons even harder. Even if each alien colony only contact eachother every 20 years or so because of travel time, each colony would still be giving off alot of signals.

And getting back to space commerce, supposing aliens unlocked some sort of instantaneous communication (quantum something, I forget what, but I once heard that it was possible to use some quantum effect that makes a change to one bit of matter effect another at the exact same time), they could have an interstellar stock market and such.
  • This is not how space commerce will work. Food will never be so scare in one place that it will be fiscally responsible to ship it place to place. Same with water. Either a place has enough water to sustain life, or the resources will be found in that star system.

You're looking for realism in a game with ringworlds?

wat?